I was surprised when I took it out to photograph this morning to discover it’s much further along than I realized. It didn’t feel like I’d made much progress. I’ve definitely messed up this third section, often working in pattern (maintaining the rib) instead the pattern (always working the same front/back post stitch pattern) that definitely is making it a mistake rib!
At coffee this morning N asked me what it’s going to be when I was done and M thought he’d make a funny remark quipping “it started as a scarf and now it’s suddenly a sweater” … they both looked at me and were surprised when I smiled and shrugged. After further prompting from the other M, I added “with my luck this shawl will be a wall hanging”.
If yardage for the color changes is consistent and I did the math correctly (both unknown tonight), then I’ll be able to reach 88 inches/223.5 cm. Which is well past my desired length and would let me ignore the completely white section.
I’m into the second main pattern section and it’s less boring now. I also reworked the start and it’s once again a wrap. Even though I’m going pantser on this and have no idea how I’ll do yardage to project length wise. At the moment it’s not promising but I’m moving forward anyway. I may propose this design somewhere.
After a three false starts, I’m about 7 rows in. However, looking at it as I put it away for the evening I may need to rethink one element.
- First go: Knitting. Miss Dot insisted on helping me cast on. She isn’t good at counting large numbers (my goal was about 181 sts), and was easily distracted.
- Second attempt found I could convert the knitting concept to crochet. It works but needs a second cake in a color that compliments not matches in reverse.
- This time I shrunk starting foundation chain so it’ll be a scarf not a wrap and working only a single ombré color.